Frequently Asked Questions:Expand All
WHEN CAN I APPLY FOR A GRANT?
The grant application becomes available on or around October 1st of each year. Grant applications received by November 30 are considered for support in the first two quarters of the following year (ex. applications received by November 30, 2017 will be reviewed and recipients selected to receive funding by June 30, 2018). Applications received December 1 to April 30 will be considered for support in the last two quarters of the year.
HOW CAN I HELP OR VOLUNTEER?
The Fund supports researchers and experts in the field in conjunction with the grant projects it supports in the U.S. and around the world. At this time, the Fund does not operate a volunteer program, but occasionally the Fund hosts events such as 5K runs, golf tournaments and fundraising galas where you can participate. Many opportunities exist in your own backyard and community to make the world a better place for animals and people. Contact your local city, county or community office to find out if you can participate in a clean-up of a local park, river, or stream. Ask if you can help restore habitat by planting trees or removing invasive species. Ask if you can help raise recycling rates by visiting schools, businesses and other community stakeholders. Better yet, get your family and friends together to organize a clean-up, tree-planting or recycling fair yourself!
AM I ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR A GRANT?
The SeaWorld & Busch Gardens Conservation Fund accepts applications from non-profit organizations, governmental entities, and schools and universities. Organizations can be U.S.-based or international. The Fund only supports projects that align with its priorities.
WHAT IS THE FUND’S MISSION?
Our mission: To work with purpose and passion on behalf of wildlife and habitats worldwide, encouraging sustainable solutions through support of species research, animal rescue and rehabilitation and conservation education.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE SEAWORLD & BUSCH GARDENS CONSERVATION FUND?
Thank you for even asking! You can support the Fund's efforts to protect animals in lots of ways.
- 1. On this website you can donate directly online, either as a general donation or as a gift to honor a loved one or friend
- 2. If you're planning a visit to one of the SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment properties and will be purchasing tickets online, you'll have the option of adding a Fund donation to your purchase
- 3. While visiting the parks, there are several opportunities to support the Fund. Throughout the parks' gift shops, look for cause-related merchandise of which a certain percent of your purchase supports the Fund. Or you could experience a "Saving a Species" behind-the-scenes tour, of which a certain percent supports the Fund. Even the coins you throw into several of the fountains throughout our parks support the Fund
- 4. A few very enthusiastic individuals – of every age – have also supported us by integrating the Fund into their life celebrations, like birthdays and weddings
- 5. And perhaps most importantly, you can support the Fund's mission by making small changes in your everyday life, like using less water, recycling more stuff, reducing your energy use, using cloth bags when grocery shopping, spending more time connecting with nature outdoors and learning everything you can about animals and the world we share
HOW MUCH HAS THE FUND GRANTED?
Since its inception in 2003, the Fund has granted well over $16 million to more than 1,200 projects in countries around the world. The Fund's grantees include world-renowned conservation organizations such as World Wildlife Fund, The Nature Conservancy, Rainforest Alliance, Conservation International and National Audubon Society. In addition, the Fund supports lesser-known grassroots groups who are committed to protecting and preserving wildlife and wild places in their own community.
WHAT ARE THE LARGEST GRANTS THE FUND PROVIDES?
Although there is no limit to the size of the application request, most grants range between $10,000 to $25,000 USD.
WHEN WAS THE FUND CREATED?
Launched in 2003, the Fund was created with dual purpose:
- 1. Provide guests with an easy, direct way to get involved and make a difference for wildlife
- 2. Strengthen and expand the parks' existing conservation efforts.
While the Fund itself is relatively new, SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment has contributed more than $50 million to wildlife conservation since the organization's inception. The Fund intends to continue this legacy and create an even greater one.
HOW MUCH DOES MY DONATION ACTUALLY HELP ANIMALS?
Unlike most charitable organizations, 100 percent of donations to the SeaWorld & Busch Gardens Conservation Fund go directly to wildlife conservation, including species research, animal rescue, habitat protection and education.
The SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment properties – SeaWorld, Busch Gardens and Discovery Cove – cover all administrative costs for the Fund.
IS THE FUND A NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION?
Yes. The SeaWorld & Busch Gardens Conservation Fund is a 501(c)(3) non-profit private foundation.
WHAT DOES THE FUND DO?
The Fund works with organizations, individuals and experts in the U.S. and around the world to identify the most pressing challenges facing wildlife. The Fund then awards grants to projects focused on protecting wildlife, people and places in ways that are sustainable and long-term. In collaboration with the SeaWorld, Busch Gardens and Discovery Cove parks, the Fund also works to increase global awareness of wildlife and inspire everyday actions that can help animals survive and thrive.